Godfrey Girl Number 3

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, August 3, 2009

A Sun what?

So last night I went out into the garage to put my things in the car; to avoid the mad rush that usually occurs in the morning. While I'm out there I notice this guy scurrying around. My first reaction is oh great we've got scorpions. But on further investigation it does not seem to be a scorpion, its "arms" are sticky and there is no stinger.


Not knowing what it was I caught it and Googled it to learn more. I find that this is a Sun Spider, or Wind Scorpion. It doesn't have poison of any sort, it grabs its prey and holds on with the stick arms. They eat the insects, lizards and other bugs and usually only come out at night (not sure where the sun spider name came from). So I decided to let it go, but no goodness, the looks of the thing don't say to me "harmless". As a precaution I sprayed around the entrances to the house, I sure don't want to meet one of these on my way to bed at night.




And when I say that they aren't harmless to us, well, that just means they can't poison us, I'm sure I wouldn't want to get bit by one of these guys, especially when I find out they eat lizards!

1 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

My brother is in the air force and sees them all the time on his base. But when he was in Iraq he saw ones that are the size of a cat or small dog. Scary!